Picture
 
The Royal National Lifeboat Institution currently operate 44 stations throughout the Republic and Northern Ireland. 

A new station at Lough Ree opened in late June 2012 on a 12 month trial basis to assess wheather a permanent lifeboat station should be established.

To improve this section it is now split into four pages in alphabetical order. A link is also provided to our photo gallery where we are currently providing each station with it's own album.

We have now added links to the websites, Facebook and Twitter pages operated by the lifeboat stations. 

Information correct as of July 5th 2012

Stations M to Y                                         

Newcastle

Newcastle Lifeboat station, Newcastle County Down Northern Ireland

Telephone (028 4372) 5138

 Picture

A lifeboat station was first established at Newcastle in 1830. The station was closed in 1833 as the lifeboat was never used. The station was re-established by the RNLI in 1854.

The current station house and slipway was built in 1993. The new station houses the stations Mersey class ALB and launch tractor. In 1994 an inshore lifeboat was sent to the station on a trial basis. The D class ILB was permanently based at the station in April 1995. 

 For more information click on the tabs below 

 

 ClassNumberName
 Mersey Class 12-29 Eleanor and Bryant Girling
 D Class D-637 Aldergrove II

  

 Portaferry

Portaferry Lifeboat Station, RNLI Lifeboat House, The Strand, Portaferry, Co Down, Northern Ireland 

Telephone (028 4272) 8710

 Picture

In 1980 an inshore lifeboat station was established at Portaferry on a trial basis. The station only operated during the summer months. In October the station began to operate on an all year round basis.

Today the station operates an Atlantic 85 ILB on the north-east side of the strand opposite the ferry slipway. 

  For more information click on the tabs below 

 

 Class Number Name
 B Class B-833 Blue Peter V

 

Portrush

Portrush Lifeboat Station, Portrush Co Antrim  BT56 8DQ

Telephone 028 7082 3201

 Picture

Portrush lifeboat station was established by by the RNLI in 1860. The first lifeboat house was built in Kerr Street. In 1876 the station moved to a site closer to the harbour which was better suited for launching.

In 1928 the current boat house was built on the west side of the town. The house was used by the ALB until 1981 when a new Arun class lifeboat took up station. The new ALB was moored in the harbour.

In 1990 the boathouse was refurbished providing better crew facilities, a new work shop and a souvenir shop. In 1993 an ILB was placed on station on a trial basis. The ILB became full time in Febuary 1994. The boathouse was extended to house the ILB. 

  For more information click on the tabs below 

  

 Class Number Name
 Severn Class 17-30 William Gordan Burr
 D Class D-738 David Roulston (Civil Service No.52)

 

 Red Bay

Coast Road Cushendall Co Antrim BT44 0QW N Ireland  

Telephone + 44 (0)28 2177 1483

 Picture

An inshore lifeboat station opened at Red Bay in May 1972. In 1973 the station became permanent and a boat house was built in the car park next to the slipway.

A new lifeboat house was opened in 1996. Built on the site of the previous house it provided much better crew facilities and housing for the ILB and launching tractor. 

  For more information click on the tabs below 

  

 Class Number Name
 B Class B-843 Geofrey Charles

 

Rosslare Harbour 

Rosslare Harbour Lifeboat Station, Co. Wexford, Republic of Ireland   

Telephone (00 353 53) 9133249

 Picture

Rosslare Harbour lifeboat station was established in 1896 at the ferry port. In 1921 the station was relocated to Rosslare Point. The station at Rosslare Point had to be abandoned in 1925 following heavy winds and sea damaging the station. In 1925 the station transfered to Wexford on a temporary basis.

In 1927 the station was reopened at the ferry port in Rosslare Harbour. The current lifeboat station house was built in 1985 and enlarged in 1995 with a store and workshop as well as an assembly room.

  For more information click on the tabs below 

 

 Class Number Name
 Severn Class 17-43 Donald & Barbara Broadhead

 

Skerries 

Skerries Lifeboat Station, Harbour Road, Co. Dublin, Republic of Ireland 

Telephone (00 353 1) 8491126

 Picture

The first lifeboat station was opened in Skerries between 1833 and 1838. The station was reopened by the RNLI in 1854. The station was closed for the second time in 1930 when a motor lifeboat was placed on station at Howth.

An inshore lifeboat station was established at Skerries in July 1981. The ILB was kept in a small stone building on the sea front. A new lifeboat station was built in 1997 on the site of the original ILB boat house. The new station provided improved crew facilities and housing for the stations Atlantic 75 ILB and launch tractor. 

  For more information click on the tabs below 

 

 Class Number Name
 B Class B-747 Rockabill

 

Sligo Bay 

           Sligo Bay Lifeboat Station, Rosses Point, Co. Sligo, Republic of Ireland                  

Telephone (00 353 71) 917 7723

 Picture

Trails of a D class lifeboat were held for three months during 1998. A station was permanently established in March 1999 when an Atlantic 21 class lifeboat was placed on station.

A new inshore lifeboat station was built during 2001 providing modern crew facilities and undercover storage for the Atlantic 75 class lifeboat. 

  For more information click on the tabs below 

 

 Class Number Name
 B Class B-781 Elsinore

 

Tramore 

              Tramore Lifeboat Station, The Pier, Co. Waterford, Republic of Ireland                  

Telephone (00 353 51) 381622

 Picture

 

 A lifeboat station was first established at Tramore in 1858. The original boat house was located about half a mile to the west of the town. A new lifeboat house was built in 1895 located close to the promenade. The station was temporarily closed in 1921. Tramore lifeboat station was permanently closed in 1924 when a motor lifeboat was placed on station at Dunmore East.

An inshore lifeboat station was established by the RNLI in 1964. Tramore was one of the first Irish stations to operate a D class inshore lifeboat. The ILB operated from a boathouse at Elizabeth Cove. In 1967 the ILB moved new premises shared with independent Tramore Sea Rescue Association.

A new lifeboat house was built in 1996 just up the road from the previous boathouse. The station became operational all year round rather than summer only. 

 For more information click on the tabs below 

  

 Class Number Name
 D Class D-643 Tra Mhor

 

Valentia 

Valentia Lifeboat Station, Valentia Harbour, Co. Kerry, Republic of Ireland             

Telephone (00 353 66) 947 6100

 Picture

 

 A lifeboat station was first established at Valentia in 1864. A lifeboat house was built at Reenard Point. In 1869 the lifeboat house was moved onto Valentia Island. This lifeboat house was until 1896 when the station was closed. In the previous 32 years the lifeboat had launched on service 32 times.

Between 1939 and 1945 an auxiliary rescue boat was placed at Valentia during World War 2. It was used to help aircraft crews forced down by bad weather, engine failure or injury as they flew in from the Atlantic.

In 1946 the station was re-established with a Watson class lifeboat moored off Knightstown. The station received it's first fast lifeboat in 1983 when Arun class ON.1082 'Margaret Frances Love' took up service.

A new station house was built in 1995. The new station provided much improved facilities including housing for the stations boarding boat, a workshop, crew facilities and a souvenir shop. 

  For more information click on the tabs below 

 

 Class Number Name
 Severn Class 17-07 John & Margaret Doig

 

                               Wexford                                

Wexford Lifeboat Station, Co. Wexford, Republic of Ireland

Telephone (00 353 53) 9152220 

 Picture

 

The current Wexford lifeboat station was established in 1998 by the independent Wexford Harbour Inshore Rescue service. A temporary base was set up at the Wexford harbour boat club.

In 2002 the RNLI took over the service and continued to operate from the Wexford boat club. In January 2008 operations moved to the newly built Wexford RNLI lifeboat station, adjacent to Wexford Bridge. The new station cost 850,000 Euro and houses a crew training room, changing and personal equipment room, boat storage area and a souvenir shop.

A number of fundraising activities raised over 100,000 Euro towards the cost of the new station. The Booth family who kindly donated the money for the new D Class lifeboat, also donated 70,000 Euro towards the new lifeboat station. 

 For more information click on the tabs below 

 

 Class Number Name
 D Class D-644 Philip Robert Booth

 

 Wicklow

Wicklow Lifeboat Station, Lifeboat House, East Pier, Co. Wicklow, Republic of Ireland

Telephone (00 353 404) 67163

 Picture

 

 A lifeboat station was first established at Wicklow in 1857. Wicklow was one of the first lifeboat stations in Ireland to receive a motor lifeboat. The 40ft motor lifeboat 'Robert Theophilus Garden' arrived on station in 1911.
 
The current boat house was built in 1887. In 1989 the boathouse was adapted for the stations new Tyne class lifeboat. Improved crew facilities and a souvenir shop were also provided. The Tyne class lifeboat,
47-035 'Annie Blaker was placed on station in October 1989. In 1997 the boathouse was extended to provide housing for the D class lifeboat. 

For more information click on the tabs below 

   

 Class Number Name
 Tyne Class 47-035 Annie Blaker
 D Class D-671 Sheringham Shantymen

 

 Youghal

                      Youghal Lifeboat Station, The Mall, Co. Cork, Republic of Ireland                        

       Telephone (00 353 24) 92229

 Picture

 

A lifeboat station was first established at Youghal in 1839. The RNLI took over operation of the station in 1857. A lifeboat house was built on the south side of the town and was in use until 1876 when a new boat house was built on the seafront near the centre of town. The lifeboat house received a number of alterations over the years until it was demolished after more than 100 years of service.

The new boathouse was built in 2002 to provide storage for the new Atlantic 75 ILB and launching tractor. Improved crew facilities and a souvenir shop were also provided.

 For more information click on the tabs below 

  

 Class Number Name
 B Class B-780 Patricia Jennings

 Page: 1 2 3 4