The lifeboat station at Arklow was the first to be established in Ireland by the Royal National Institution for the Preservation of Life from Shipwreck (RNIPLS). The station was opened in 1826 and the lifeboat was kept in a house rented through the Coastguard. A new boathouse and slipway was built in 1873. In 1912 the boathouse was adapted for the stations first motor lifeboat. The station was again altered in 1938 for a new lifeboat. In 1967 the lifeboat was placed at moorings in Arklow Dock. A small wooden station house was built on the quayside in 1970. A new station house was built in 1988 on the site of the 1970 built house.
|1 - 60 of 194 Photos|