The new Shannon class lifeboat named Val Adnams arrived into Courtmacsherry, led by a flotilla of local boats, at exactly 13.45, which is also the operational number of the lifeboat. Despite the overcast conditions, crowds turned to welcome the crew and see the village’s new lifeboat.
Its arrival marks the start of a new chapter in the story of search and rescue in the south coast. The Shannon lifeboat is the latest in a long line of search and rescue boats provided by the RNLI to Courtmacsherry over the past 198 years. Courtmacsherry along with Arklow are the oldest Lifeboat Stations in Ireland having been founded in 1825. It’s 27 years since the last new Trent class Lifeboat arrived in 1995 and its only the 11th Lifeboat to be stationed in Courtmacsherry since the arrival of the first RNLI boat “The Plenty” in 1825.